This delicious warming tomato soup recipe great for cold winter days with hidden veg is a great lunchtime treat. My kids love this for lunch with a warm part baked baguette or a cheese toastie. It’s not only delicious but it includes some hidden veggies and is 1 of your 5 a day.
Delicious warming tomato soup recipe great for cold winter days with hidden veg
If you are looking for a warming nutritious lunch then look no further. This tomato soup tastes just like the stuff I used to grow up with. Although when I was younger it would tend to come out of a can. The smell will take you right back to being a kid. It’s one of the best things to come home to after a chilly winter walk.
The best thing about this recipe is that it is easy to switch up for ingredients you have in. Don’t have any peppers? Just switch it for an extra carrot or two or vice versa. This soup counts as at least one of your 5 a day and gives you a good variety of nutrients.
No fancy ingredients
If you only have a few basic ingredients then you can make this soup easy. There are no fancy pants ingredients to go out and buy and most of them are already in your fridge/cupboard already. All you need is:
- Tinned tomatoes
- Garlic (or garlic granules)
- Tomato puree
- Stock cube
- A little oil to cook
This is one of those recipes that I would say anyone can make. If I gave my kids this recipe they could make it no problem. It’s kind of a chop it up, throw it all in and cook recipe. I personally like to cook down the veg on the hob before adding any liquid. This gives the soup an extra depth of flavour. You could also roast your veg before adding liquid for that roasted flavour. I also tend to add the stock cube without any liquid and use it as a flavour enhancer when cooking down the veg.
Then all the veggies get blitzed together with some water and cooked until the soup is the perfect consistency for you. Consistency is a very personal aspect of soup. I prefer my tomato soup more like the tinned consistency but I know my mum prefers it a lot thicker. This recipe is also a great way to use up any leftover veg to prevent food waste.
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 2 Tins of plum or chopped tomatoes
- 2 carrots trimmed and chopped
- 2 red peppers (or yellow or green) roughly chopped
- 1 Large onion (or 2 small) chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 Stock cube
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *Optional extra veg such as courgette, squash etc.
- Cook your onion, carrots and peppers (and additional veg) in the oil on a medium low heat for around 15-20 minutes. You could also roast the veg for half an hour.
- Add the stock cube and tomato puree and stir around until all the veg is covered. Cook again for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and heat through for another 5 minutes.
- Blitz up all your veg with a hand blender or pop it all in a food proceessor until desired consistency.
- Return to the heat, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immdetiately with some fresh bread or a cheese toastie.